February 1, 2007

Really?

Has it really been 20 years?

I received an email today about my 20th High School Reunion. Oy.

The internet must be a powerful tool, I don't know how else they found me. I was MIA for the 10th reunion, and then, I was still on the East Coast. I come from a place where people don't leave. Or if they do, it's a couple towns over.

More alarming, I am actually considering going to the reunion. Only vaguely considering, but still. I was one of those total outcasts. You know the type. Arty. Sullen. One of two punk kids in a sea of upturn collars and feathered hair. I grew up on Cape Cod. Politically liberal, socially stifling. Land of the cookie cutter people. So I find it surprising that I'm not rejecting the idea immediately.

Why would I pay to torture myself by seeing these people again?

Partially because I've knocked that Outsider chip off my shoulder. Partially out of morbid curiousity. There are a couple people I'd like to see. I haven't been abck to the Cape for years and years. I seek no closure from my high school years, so there's none of that.

But damn, has it really been 20 years?

No comments: