January 16, 2007

Back in the Saddle

I'm back!

Two weeks ago, my chiropractor and I proclaimed me restored to "pre-injury status". This means I am finally done treating from the car accident I was in back in April 2006. I walked away from that accident, but the accident changed the rest of 2006. I could no longer do what I loved and with the people I call my friends.

Cycling sends me over the moon. I can't express how it scrubs clear the cobwebs in my brain.

But all of December I'd been hemming and hawing about getting back on the bike, even though I wasn't working. I was telling myself, "It's no fun to ride alone".

Bullshit!

Yesterday, one of my favorite people gave me back cycling. Marty said, "wanna ride soon?" in an email. We were out there yesterday afternoon, in the freezing cold at 4pm for a quick spin. I've certainly lost some power and strength, but not the joy of being on the bike. That is, so long as I lose the ego, and not think of what level of riding I was at during the 2005 season.
It wasn't an earth shattering ride; it was only an hour long. But it showed me that my legs were still strong, just not what they were. Thanks to the performance indoor cycling program (we can't call ourselves Spin, because we don't license from Johnny G) at Berkeley Ironworks, I've been able to maintain cardio and some strength.

So today, I went riding again. Alone. Riding alone is fun, because cycling is fun. It was freezing out, and I had to go to REI to get a skull cap and a proper cycling windbreaker. (Thankful once again, I am an employee of the REI Outdoor School and entitled to that employee discount!)

Another "quick ride". See, for me, anything less than 30 miles was not worth breaking out the bike. I have to lose that thinking, and appreciate the sheer joy of being in the saddle. Climbing hills on a bike has always been a favorite part of cycling, and I still love it.

So, while I get back into cycling shape and my 2007 cycling season evolves, I'll try to keep cycling related blather over here . It could get tedious, I'll warn you. I may use that blog to document my training progress in only a way I care to follow. Who knows. Who knows what this season will bring. But it's nice to be back.

No comments: