July 13, 2008

lovely

I'd been trippin' on a self induced pity party about my knees. Life smacked me in the face and gave me several opportunities to get over myself. There's nothing like being shaken to one's core with sadness, and to see dear ones face death of those they love deeply. My suffering could be so much greater.

Having emerged from My Funk, I have renewed commitment towards steering myself away from pessimism. Welcome to the Summer of Radical Positivity. I'm hopeful it sticks around and rolls into the next season. And so on.

The camping trip, as always, was like a reset button. Pinnacles was HOT! There was great hiking to be had, and we enjoyed mellow hot days, and wonderful camp dinners. Stargazing and the sounds of coyotes were evening treats. A beery yoga practice was enjoyed under the shade of a large oak tree.

Since I've ceased teaching Spin (for now), I've been trying to get in more hikes. It's pretty great to head up to Redwood and get in a hike before work. We've been pulling it off regularly. It starts the day off right, in a way a trip to the gym never could for me.

This weekend is another yoga immersion weekend. Yesterday was a fun day! Afterwards, my dear one picked me up and we went for a picnic in the Headlands to watch the sunset. We watched the sun setting, pelicans swooping, and had a really nice little meal. It was one of the sweetest things ever.

Surgery is this Friday. I'm heading down to LA for production on Wednesday and Thursday. It's going to be a busy week, which will be a good distraction. I'm a bit scared about what's to come but trying to remember, at this point, it could be a whole lot worse.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Wow, sounds like you've been dealing with a lot, good and bad. My compassion goes to you for the sad bits, and I'm stoked to read about the exciting ones.

Mark and I have been training to do Desolation Wilderness. He's a very advanced backpacker, and this will be my first. Very fun I hope!

Good luck with your knee surgery!

Laura said...

Yay, positivity! What's to come will ultimately unstick you and move you forward. It'll only seem like you're moving backwards for a while.

I'd never entertained the possibility of beery yoga! Wow!