July 19, 2008

on the other side...

my knee surgery was yesterday. all things considered, i'm doing great. i haven't spoken to my surgeon since before the surgery, but he left paul a VM saying it went well, my knees were better than expected, the problem remains the lack of cartilage under the knees, and i am a candidate for the ACI procedure. all good news. the big bummer yesterday was the anesthesia made me vomit anything i put in my mouth. it was a cycle of a constant wave of nausea. i even threw up in the car on the way home, splashing cranberry juice vomit all over paul and me. paul kept giving me a progressively larger vessel to puke into. finally, i took some promethazine, an anti-nausea drug, and i was able to keep dinner down.

let me back up...my knees have these braces which circulate icy water through hoses attached to mini picnic coolers. each knee has a cooler. i'm also sporting some sexy anti-embolism stockings. i'm supposed to be keeping the picnic coolers attached round the clock for 48 hours, and my nurse nazi is lovingly ensuring i follow doctor's orders.

i feel SO much better today with the anesthesia and drugs out of my body (i know i had the following in me: morphine, antibiotics, anti-nausea meds all put into my IV bag.) for the most part i've been managing the pain with ibuprofin only. percocet scares me, i don't want to be all drugged up; besides, i want to feel the pain a wee bit to remind me that i ought to be taking it easy.

this morning i was feeling great! thus far, i've had no pain in my left knee. almost 90 degree bend can be had. my right knee felt pretty good, but then it was having some stinging in a localized point (maybe where the scope went in?) but this afternoon a low-level ache all throughout the joint has made itself known. did i do too much? i've hobbled a bit without the crutches, and i stood in the kitchen making my coffee this morning.

really, though, the hardest part is being immobile and sitting still. BORED! hello, we have no TV! and the internet gets boring. and i've read my magazines. my attention span is too short right now to dig into a book. the kitties provide some entertainment. i feel very lucky, because i think this could be worse.

my big outing planned for today is a walk down the hall to get the mail. woo!

No comments: