May 21, 2007

Ask and ye shall receive


Wacky Glassy
Originally uploaded by jenworth.
It sounds silly to believe in the power of intention. But I do.

It happens over and over, where I ask for something, and when I really am clear about my intentions, things show up.

Like work. Until last week, I'd only worked three weeks this year. I'd had a nice long break since Thanksgiving.

I put it out there: work, please show up. I made a couple small actions in contacting a couple people and agencies whom I'd never worked with.

A gig rolled in, booking me through the end of June. Then another agency wanted to book most of my June. Funny how that happens.
When the bank account starts getting uncomfortably low, work always shows up. I trust this, and I think that's why I'm a stress-free freelancer.

But, oh man, is it rough to go from limitless free time without much responsibility to flat-out slammed silly busy. My brain actually takes a day or two to get used to the juggling state of overwhelm. It takes adjusting to squeeze life in around the edges of work. Weekends become all about errands and laundry. I honestly don't know how staffers do it on a year in, year out basis. I can do it in the short-term because I'm paid hourly and anything is possible for short stints.

Last week was a doozy. The agency I'm working at now is new, and it's like a hip ad agency thrown into a dot-com blender. I easily saw 55 hours worked last week. I was exhausted and drained at the end of each day, and cumulatively, at the end of the week.

Time to suck it up, kiddo. Remember: Nepal. That's what I keep telling myself.

No comments: