March 23, 2007

Day 3-4 of zesty fasting

Thankfully, the awfulness of Day 2 stayed there. Once the stomach ache from vomiting the previous night dissipated, Day 3 was fine. Had to remind myself to drink the lemonade, didn't feel much hunger. Very heightened sense of smell, almost annoyingly so. All this time spent not eating leaves us to pursue other fun stuff. Teaching spin last night was fine. I kept my heart rate below 85%. Luckily it wasn't a killer class, just plain ole' medium endurance riding. While spinning I did notice that my sweat was unusually salty, much like the salt water I drink each morning.

Today's been a-okay, too. Paul had the day off, and so it was a lazy morning after we consumed our salt water. It was funny to see food habits being broken; usually we'd go out for a meal or need to do some grocery shopping or the like. There was none of that, just noticing the letting go of habitry. My friend Becky was right- I was more productive due to not having to think/deal with food. Also noticed we've run the dishwasher far less than normal since we're not cooking.

I'm being intelligent, as hard as it is, and not doing long rides outside during the fast. A spin class is one thing, a ride outside is a whole different story, especially since around Berkeley-Oakland you can't escape the hills and that's where my energy would get eaten up. I will miss riding with my friends for a few days, but better to be sensible than to get myself into a bad sitch.

In other news: Starting to do a bunch of reading and research about my upcoming trip to Nepal. The Annapurna Circuit isn't a cakewalk. There's one pass, Thorung La, which is 17,770 feet we have to make it over, then descend over scree. This shit's serious. Thankfully, I will be taking a three day course to recertify my Wilderness First Responder next month, which will give me the refresher I need to deal with altitude illness and other things we may encounter on the trail. It is becoming apparent that I will need to be in phenomenal shape for this three week trek.

No comments: