March 25, 2007

Days 5 and 6 of the Clean-o-Rama

Yesterday was a particularly active day, after my fucktard neighbor had a loud, late party; needless to say I didn't sleep great. Seems that no matter what time I go to bed, I'm up with the sun, or with Splat's help before sunrise. Anyway, yesterday Paul and I went to a yoga class which was 1.5 hours. Then we went for a small hike in a park I've never been into. It was so much less crowded than Redwood, yet still on Skyline. It had gorgeous redwoods, and is mountain bike friendly! The closest thing to good single-track in the East Bay. The fog spilled in during our hike making it chilly. We chugged down a nalgene of lemonade between the two of us. That was a lot of activity for a fasting person, and while it felt fine, I am conscious of energy spent against a caloric deficit. I bailed on going to see some live music, figuring I didn't have the energy to be that social with friends.

Speaking of caloric deficit, I didn't do this to lose weight. (That's an added bonus.) But I've lost six pounds thus fast. Nothing yesterday (!?) and only a half pound today. Maybe spinning is the magic combination for those 2.5 lb days?

I have noticed that I am more belchy. Since I can no longer burp the alphabet, this doesn't do much for me. I also notice that I am expelling mucus. After the salt water yumminess every morning, I seem to cough up mucus, and my sinuses loosen a bit. Since I do a saline wash up my nose everyday anyway, this is a lotta salt flushing. The departure method of said mucus makes sense. My respiratory system has always been my weak link. So those are the noticable side effects.

As for today, it's been a very low energy day. Three flights of stairs to the laundry room left my legs feeling heavy. I feel a little sore from yoga yesterday. Not overly talkative (which may come as a relief to Paul). Don't feel like the sharpest tack. A little dull. I haven't had the blissout that Paul has. It hasn't been challenging, but I haven't noticed improved sleep or life on the puffy cloud. My sense of smell is definitely more acute.

If tomorrow continues to be this low energy, I may try to add in some powdered greens to boost the likely nutritional deficiency. I may also consider ending the fast on Tuesday. I've been taking it day-by-day, but with the goal of making it at least seven days.

I teach a two hour spin class Friday evening in addition to my usual Thursday night class. With that in mind, I have to look at this upcoming week and approach it wisely, which may not mean fasting until the end of Thursday. We shall see.

No comments: