March 27, 2007

Day 8: Slip and Fizzle

So I went to a noon spin class. I walked out the front door, forgetting my water bottles.

Didn't realize this detail until a second before class was to start. What to do? Nathan, my fellow spin instructor, offered me a "water". Turns out to be one of those Glaceau Vitamin Water things. A tiny bit of sugar and froot flavor. What could I do? Dehydrate and say no? So I thanked him and took the bottle, after all, it had some electrolytes and vitamins and those could do me some good.

First sip: WHOA! Tasting something other than lemonade was a trip. It was way sweet. Not sugary, but sweet, almost electrifyingly so. I am guessing the first foods and flavors I taste post-fast will be the same way. I drank it, feeling slightly guilty. Hello, Jen! It's water! Not like you pounded a whole cake or anything!

The other thing of note: my muscles have absolutely NO ability to recover right now. I went to spin yesterday, keeping it pretty moderate in the 80-85% HR zone. Nothing crazy, my average for the hour ride was under 80%. Today, though, my HR wouldn't stay up, my legs felt incredibly heavy, especially my inner thighs. I went through the motions of the class without really digging in a doing the super hard work; my legs just weren't there. I mean it. They were fighting me.

Makes sense. Eight days into a fast, with back-to-back spinning. No protein. No "real" nutrients for my muscles to recover.

Tomorrow will be a yoga only day. I'm a little concerned about Thursday and Friday, but I can modify my way through it.

Talked to one of my fellow spinners who is a MD psychiatrist and he said what I was doing was bad for my body, and that I was likely in ketosis (wasn't it cool to be in ketosis during the Zone craze?) and that my body is in startvation mode, so as soon as I start eating again it will take those calories and store them immediately as fat. Hmmm, wonder if that is true?

No comments: