March 21, 2007

Silly Fasting Business, Day #2

It was my idea. A spring cleaning, so to speak. It sounded like a good idea. Originally I had wanted to do a juice fast, but my friend with the juicer is out of town, hence, the juicer unavailable. Then one of my cycling friends was on a modified version of The Master Cleanse, aka The Lemonade Diet. She's not a kook, so it got me thinking maybe that would work, too. Although Becky supplemented with powdered greens, and gave me her leftovers. Haven't gone there yet and dunno if I will.

I'm doing it with Paul. Bless his hungry soul. Makes it more fun when you gulp Smooth Move tea with someone you love, then you can talk about the lovely details of it all. Or when 3:45am wakes me with stomach cramps, I have a warm understanding person to spoon away the pain. Helps, too, that he's all jazzy about it!

Besides being hungry and crave-y, it's not so bad. I am backing off on the cycling some, with Sunday's bonk still fresh in my mind. I'm teaching spin tomorrow evening, but skipping the four hour ride with Mark. I have a low-grade headache today. I haven't had caffeine in two days, could that be it? Or is it truly the detox action?

How long can I do this? It's supposed to be 10 days, but I was reading that after 7 days your body uses your own muscle for protein. I am needing all the muscle I have, so it may be limited to 7 days. I saw my chirpractor today and she thought for one's first fast 3-5 days might be more appropriate. Surprisingly, she was totally on board with the whole fasting concept. At the very least, I'd like to make it through the weekend. I've got some bike riding needing to happen while I'm not working.

Paul's suggesting a raw vegan diet after this is all done. Does that mean he won't bake? Because that truly is my downfall.

No comments: